Monday, May 2, 2011

Lab 4: GIS Data Models


ArcMap is a very useful programs for those who are interested in making maps in a professional settings, or just for fun. The program is user friendly in terms of getting around the software and the software tutorial was really easy to follow.

Unfortunately, just like any product, there are some shortcomings to the software. While I was working on my map, I was stumbled upon a few incidence that took me more than half an hour to figure out. When ArcMap needs to export the data, it asks for the specific location of the files. However, not all those folders, such as My Computer, can be detected by the program. It was frustrating to have to locate for my flash drive. As a result, I had to manually type (or copy and paste) the location of my drive in the address and paste them onto the drop down menu.

At the time of exporting the files, the program gave me several error messages. However, these error messages came in a code which I had to Google in order to decipher what it means. Also, I feel like ArcMap does not let user explore his or her artistic side. Most of the color settings are pre-chosen and it is limited to that particular color. Unlike other famous programs such as Paint, which gives you a color palate and lets you chose the different shades of color, ArcMap has not such thing.

Overall, despite the shortcomings, ArcMap is still a very decent program for geographers and map makers. The program can make map making effort a whole lot easier. Especially when you need to make a proposal for certain constructions, ArcMap is up for the job.

1 comment:

  1. The maps look good, but it seems that you missed my instructions in class about how to post this work and what the write-up should contain. Make you do what I ask for in class.

    17/20

    ReplyDelete